Not your average fudge, but you'll be surprised at how good it is

I am, by some people’s definition, a health food nut. My hubby is just the opposite. Left to his own devises, he would eat junk food for every meal…he thinks Trix cereal counts as a serving of fruit.
Despite my affinity for healthy food, I still have a persistent sweet tooth. Sometimes even the sweetest, freshest fruit does nothing to calm the cravings for something sweet.
So, I’m always on the lookout for a recipe that tastes like a comforting sweet, creamy treat that won’t add five pounds and a few inches to my waistline. Often, the “healthy alternative” is, indeed, healthy, but it rarely meets my criteria for a great dessert. 
So, when I saw this dessert recipe that featured chickpeas and dates, I figured that my sweet man’s sweet tooth would wither away. And I was pretty sure the healthy snack would wither away in my freezer along with the raw food beet and kale “cake” I made a few weeks back. Tastes OK but it is not the sweetness satisfier I hoped for.
This, I am happy to report, is a tasty, creamy, dessert-type food that even the Trix-lover will like.
Don’t roll your eyes, whip this up in a few minutes and patiently wait the four hours for it to set. (PS If you can’t wait, it’s totally edible unfrozen, but the cold gives it that ice cream texture you might be craving.)
Also, a tray of these fudge treats costs lest than a half gallon of premium ice cream.
Alternate Universe Fudge
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup of salted smooth nut/seed butter
½ cup of milk (almond, coconut, soy…it doesn't matter)
6-8 pitted soft dates
1 teaspoon of vanilla
½ cup of chocolate chips (or use carob)
Sprinkle of sea salt


  • In a food processor add the chickpeas, the nut/seed butter, the milk, the dates and the vanilla. Mix until smooth. About 1 minute.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Place the batter into a parchment-lined 8x8 baking dish or muffin tins.
  • Freeze the fudge for at least 4 hours.
  • Enjoy

Popular Posts